Monday, January 9, 2012

Birthday Boy

I promise I haven't forgotten my birthday boy.  It was so fun getting to celebrate a birthday with him really knowing what was going on.  Sterling has been asking for months when his birthday was and it was finally here!!


 Happy Birthday Sterling

 We started off with some birthday waffles

 Poor Ann Elizabeth has not been feeling well I actually had to take her in that day with her second ear infection in the past few weeks.
Sterling couldn't decide whether he wanted a Chuggington birthday or Lightning McQueen.  So, we compromised, having a Chuggington cake for his cousins party and we will do a Cars theme when we celebrate here with friends.
 Sterling has become a little obsessed with hopscotch.  Which I think is funny because he cannot hop on one foot yet.  That obviously doesn't stop him.  But Alex did try to teach him how.


 Now that he's a big boy he has to help with things like getting the trash!  HA! I know Alex will be excited when he finally can help even though he thought he try would here. 
 THREE!!
 I just think he looks so big here!


 
Playing soccer with Daddy, who can play without spilling Mountain Dew.
 I made Sterling a Chuggington cake.  I told him he would have to lend me his new trains for a few minutes that he had yet to put down. 

Funny story: The cakes were made and frozen.  But I decided to ice the cake at my mom's the night before the party.  She had some left over icing and a new KitchenAid mixer that I wanted to try out! 

The kids almost always get to stay up late when we are visiting with grandparents.  So after finally getting Sterling to bed at 10 (it was his birthday after all) I started getting the icing ready.  Mom had some left over from Christmas cookies, which would have actually been enough come to find out.  However, we both thought we needed more so I started to make more.  I had to half the recipe because we only had half of a bag of powdered sugar.  I halved everything except the salt.  Well, that extra 1/4 teaspoon (or whatever it was) of salt makes a huge difference.  So we needed more sugar to make the full recipe.  We had to head off to Walmart because everything else is closed in Sylacauga by 10.  Needless to say after getting home, making and coloring icing, icing the cake and decorating the cake.  It turned into a late night. 

I was finally done and ready to go to bed about 2 am when my mom noticed that I had misspelled "Birthday" (dyslexia and 2am don't mix).  So I scraped off the "day" to add an "H"  I got a little side tracked by a conversation with my mom and finally by 3 I was ready for bed, when I heard, "Hey, Sterling what are you doing up?" 

I guess the excitement of the party got to him, because he was definitely out of bed and ready to go!  I took him back to bed and I by 5 am I stopped hearing him move around on the pallet on our floor.  At 7:30 he was ready to go. 

My child does not do well with little sleep, he is usually grumpy if he doesn't get a good nap, but he was so pleasant on only half the sleep he normally gets.  He even skipped his nap the next day with no problems.  I wish I did as well as he on my 2ish hours.  :(

 Ann Elizabeth giving Crawford kisses.  I love his face!

 Sterling and Max's birthdays are a week and a half apart so we celebrated Max's 4th and Sterling's 3rd birthday together.  They are both waiting to have their parties until the weather is warmer.  Although Sterling's birthday had perfect weather for a party, of course.  Last year, we were snowed in for several days a few hours after Sterling's party!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STERLING!!  WE LOVE YOU!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

It looks like it was such a great day. (I'm sorry about the sleep, though. I would have been so stressed over that.)

Anonymous said...

Yes, looks like a great day, indeed! You did a FANTASTIC job with the cake. Mom & Dad sure enjoyed getting to be a part of the celebration in Sylacauga.

I hope AE is feeling better.

Love you all, and - again - HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STERLING!