Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Cravings - Unfulfilled

I love living in Gadsden.  We have really enjoyed every moment here.  It is much bigger than the towns I grew up in, but not nearly as much traffic as Tuscaloosa.  So most of the time it is the perfect size.  I mean I have definitely missed having a Publix and a Target after living and or working within just a few minutes of both.  (Publix, please move here!!)  However, I have learned to cope.

However, I must say, being pregnant has been very frustrating at times.  The other day I was getting a bath before heading out to run some errands.  This is uninterrupted time, no computer, no TV, no chores, no little boy demanding my attention, nothing to distract so I spend it thinking.  I would like to say that I spend it praying or doing something spiritual, but that is not usually the case.  On this particular day I was planning out the stops I needed to make when I realized that it was time for lunch.  I thought I would just stop by somewhere and pick something up, a rare treat.  I am not usually a big fan of fast food and a greasy hamburger did not sound appetizing at the time, although it does right now.

I started to think about, not what my options were, but like any pregnant woman what "sounded good."  This was my train of thought:
  • Mmm, Zoe's that would be great.  No what I really want is those homemade baked chips from FIG. Yum!
  • We don't have either one of those :(
  • Well, Moe's or something would be good - we don't have that either
  • Chick-fil-a, Burger King, we have those - ugh not today
  • Well, you know what would really be yummy - City Cafe.  Oh, my mouth is watering now. I NEED City Cafe! - If you don't know what that is, and if you've never been to Tuscaloosa you don't, it is 45 minutes (or however long you take to eat) of praising God for making food taste so wonderful.  Even now I am finding myself praying for a miracle and the owners deciding to become a chain and that City Cafe #2 would happen to be within 10 minutes of my house.  
  • Then I thought well of course I can't have City.  Nachos would be good.  That chili and cheese dip at McAlister's is so good.  Mmm, with the jalapenos, I got that almost every week my junior year with all of that left over Bama Cash. Yes, that is what I want, now I am CRAVING it!  That's all I can think about, BUT WE DON'T HAVE ONE!
By the time I was ready to go, I was so discouraged I didn't even care what I got for lunch.  No wonder I gained so much weight with Sterling!!  After living in T-town for six years I think I got a little spoiled!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

http://amorganslp.blogspot.com/2009/05/our-top-3-favorite-tuscaloosa.html

I often long for Qdoba, Taco Casa, and Tuts :)

Bethany Vaughn said...

Mmm...Tuts and Taco Casa! You're not helping the situation :) We should take a road trip. But we will need to spend a few days to get it all in!

Unknown said...

Bethany, I am from Gadsden and my parents still live there! I know your pain! You need to go to Boaz and try Mill Street Deli. You can thank me later. :)