Wednesday, December 21, 2011

On Santa

I don't know why I can't sleep maybe because I drank some coffee after dinner at our fun cookie swap tonight.  Maybe it's because I was talking in my post earlier about how I feel like I have no time or energy to get things done.  Whatever the case I am exhausted but wide awake.  I'll pay for it in the morning I know.

Until then, I have been trying to make the most of it by trying to finish addressing Christmas cards. As I was working, I was reminded of a conversation I had with my son earlier today.

It was about Santa.  You see we have tried to just avoid the subject.  Alex and I have both felt convicted that we didn't really want to stress the whole Santa bit.  That is of course our own conviction and we would never want to push that on someone else, so you walk the fine line as to what to do.  What do we tell the kids so that they don't ruin it for other kids, but they don't think that Santa will just Toys 'R' Us in our living room?  So again, we have, until now, just avoided it.

We want to try to avoid being so materialistic at Christmas, which is, of course, so hard to do.  We want to celebrate the birth of Christ while loving one another and being a blessing to others.  I was afraid that our two-year-old was going to have a hard time with this this year when he started using the phrase "I want one just like that" around August constantly.  However, when it came down to it, his Christmas list was simple, just the way I like it.  He wants some roller skates, bath toys, and a Cooties game.  There are some other things scattered about that we picked up on, but those are the constants.

Another reason we want to leave Santa out is selfish.  Personally, I just really want my kids to know that WE got them presents, because Mommy and Daddy love them.  We let the kids open one gift this year early.  I let Sterling open his long anticipated Cooties game.  He was so excited to get this $5 game and wanted to play immediately.  I promise, he was trembling a little with excitement while opening it.  During the whole game, and for several after, that sweet thing couldn't stop saying, "Thank you Mommy and Daddy" and "This is so much fun, I love my Cooties game".  I mean how precious is that :)  Alex made the comment, "Why would you want to give this to Santa?"  I wholeheartedly agreed!  He is probably especially thinking this as he has been busy in HIS workshop, aka the garage, building the kids a play kitchen.

Whether we were going to do Santa or not, my huge, non-negotiable issue was that we would not say that Santa, or anyone else, would bring the kids gifts if they were "good".  First of all, we want our kids to know that none of us are good.  We are all sinful.  Second, we want them to know that just like Mommy and Daddy give them gifts at Christmas, not because they deserve it, but just because we love them, Jesus gives them the gift of life because he wants to, because he loves them.  Children learn best through analogies verbalized or just practiced.  Why not let our gift giving preach the gospel to their little hearts?

Well, back to today.  Sterling put things together I guess - a little sooner than I had hoped.  I don't know where the curiosity came from, TV or strangers asking him what Santa was going to bring him for the last month.  Either way, we hadn't addressed it, and I wasn't ready with what my answer would be when questions did come.  Some things I have learned from my own mother as well as other seasoned moms is you don't have to give too much information and to ask questions first then give answers.  Actually, now that I think about it that's what Jesus usually did, too.  Bravo, Mom!

Sterling's question was, after seeing Santa on a commercial, "Mommy, where is Santa?"  I said, "He's right there on TV."  I thought that took care of it.

Not so easy, Mom.

"No, Mommy, where is the real Santa?"  A page out of my Mom's book (She always asked us what we thought, and again, Christlike answer KiKi), gave me the response, "What do you think, Sterling?  Where do you think he is?"  I mean what do I say, the North Pole?  We really don't want to do the whole Santa thing, but I don't think he is old enough to just say, "Well he's not really real, but don't tell anyone, Son."  Yeah like that works with a two-year-old; we don't want him spoiling it for other kids.

My little almost-3-year-old, possibly inspired by the Holy Spirit, said, "In heaven?  He's in heaven, with Jesus?"  "Well yes, Sterling, actually he is!"  I mean where did that come from?  Again we have not said a word until now about Santa except to answer, "Who is that?" "Santa."

Wow, what a perfect answer he came up with, because that IS where the real Santa is.  Well, I assume, of course I didn't know him personally.  I can't account for his heart, that is between him and Christ.  But, yes, I would assume St. Nicholas is in heaven.

Thank you Sterling for answering your own question with wisdom beyond your years.  And for confirming convictions and questions Mommy has had about what to do with Santa Claus.

3 comments:

Christine D. Parker Roberts said...

I loved this post so much, Bethany. It warmed my heart. :) Merry Christmas, to you and yours!
-Christine D. Parker Roberts

Anonymous said...

This is so great, Bethany, and Sterling is definitely wise beyond his years. We're definitely in the same boat as you and agree with what you said wholeheartedly. It's good to read about how other families' handle such instances. I love the answering a question with a question example; I'll have to remember that one in the future.

I hope you ended up getting some sleep, but I - like many, I'm sure - appreciate you taking time to write.

And I can't wait to see the kitchen that comes from Alex's workshop! Great idea :)

Anonymous said...

just looked back at my comment; pardon the overuse of 'definitely', as well as unnecessary apostrophes. ;) Love you all!