Sunday, September 14, 2014

Classical Conversations

We began our Classical Conversations class a few weeks ago, and overall, we love it.  However, I want to talk a little bit about how we, maybe non-conventionally, structure CC into our homeschool week.

First of all, what is Classical Conversations?  It is a Classical Christian homeschool class and community. CC is not a curriculum.  We meet together once a week for 24 weeks.  Different communities structure that differently, but we go for four months a semester taking one week off a month.  It is a class you have to pay for, which was one of the big reasons we didn't participate last year, you know, paying for an adoption and all.  However, this year we decided to go for it, especially when we began looking down the foster care route.  Our director was in need of another tutor and a sub. I told her I would love to sub, and if she got desperate I would tutor... Well I'm tutoring, it's our first year with CC, I have no idea what I'm doing (they do give you training and it was plenty, but it's still a little intimidating, There Are Moms In There With Me!)

Ok, so lets start with my hang ups about CC.  Before actually visiting a class we had heard lots about it from friends.  I'm a researcher so I pulled out my laptop and began scouring the internet reading on their website and other blogs trying to find out everything I could.  Here were my initial impressions. 

1. It can get pricy.  There's tuition to pay the director and tutors for their time, plus there are certain materials that you have to have, and then things that you and your kid will want to have, then a smaller facility fee and supply fee. 

2. It's "just memorization."  When I was first researching CC I wasn't even sure what the Classical Method was.  Sterling was just 4 and we weren't doing anything really formal with him.  More on preschool later.  But memorizing seemed really boring to me and not much like a well rounded education.

3. Once we did decide to homeschool classically, CC doesn't follow the schedule/pace that I wanted to follow.  They go faster than I had planned and what if we decide to take longer with a certain week because my child is very interested?  Then we would be off.

Ok, now my thoughts after participating for several weeks (and remember I'm saying this as a skeptic).

1. It is worth the $$ and more!  Sure I could come up with cute jingles to help my child memorize the periodic table for free.  But would I?  Probably not!!  Secondly, I'm tutoring, so I get a small stipend for my time leading and preparing for the class, more than enough to pay for the materials and tuition for my one child. So if money is an issue for you and you are interested in CC, sign up to be a tutor or a sub (if they have an opening).  I'm actually surprised at how much fun I'm having, even with the other moms intimidation factor.

Week 4, we have learned 20 states and capitals and where they are on the map.  Sterling and I, and Ann Elizabeth somewhat for that matter, have memorized the definitions for infinitive and past and present participle, we've learned the main bones that make up the axial skeleton, some Latin (even though I think I'm screwing up my class royally in this area some weeks), etc.  It really is amazing what their little minds can absorb.  And with all of the cute little songs, I can remember everything too, another plus of being a tutor, I've got to remember it (it helps that every word goes on the board!)

To participate in the Foundations class you, as the mom (your child's teacher), need a Fondations Guide (just one/family forever in Foundations), $10 map for geography/child, and one $10 tin whisle/child. We also chose to get the timeline cards, mainly because I have to get them as a tutor, but they are great, and a CD with all of the music for this year, we may just do the iPad app next year it's a little cheaper!  You will have to purchase a new map for each child for the first three years, but after that you just start back at the beginning.  So next year the only materials we will need is next year's map for Sterling, and a map and tin whistle for Ann Elizabeth (you can start Foundations at 4), we already have the cycle 1 iPad app so we may be able to skip the CD (you need at least one cycle's CD b/c the app doesn't have the songs you repeat every year like the timeline song.) Speaking of the "Timeline Song" every year we learn/review (it stays the same) the 14 minute timeline song that hits high points in history, it's amazing!

2. I've already talked about the Classical Method, so I'm not as opposed to memorizing as I was as I see now that memorizing at 5 is different than what I remember, memorizing stuff in high school.  With CC the memory work sticks, it really does.  We sing this stuff all of the time without even realizing we are doing it.  AE even knows a lot of the songs now!  Actually, out of 3 hours only 30 minutes are spent on memory work and 30 minutes spent reviewing past memory work.  We also have a 30 minute science project or experiment, the kids all give a few minute presentation, and we also practice art, music, and learn art and music history.

3. This is probably where we differ from a lot of CC families, I don't know maybe more do it this way than I think.  We do not do lessons at home that mirror what we are learning in class  We don't even try!  Here's how I look at it.  Classical Conversations is our Memory Class.  Memorization is important at this age, and while there are a few things that we will try to memorize along the way that will go with our curriculum, we won't worry too much about it because I know the kids will probably get it at some point in a three year CC cycle.  If they learn it in CC first we will be building upon that information.  If we learn about it in class first, then hopefully it will serve as a review in CC and maybe stick more since they have some information to go with it.

So that's it.  We attend class once a week.  My kids love being in a classroom environment.  We don't stress about having everything perfectly memorized (the kids at least I of course have to).  We just have fun sing go over our songs once a week at home, usually in the car, during bath time, or just to show Alex what we learned.  Other than that we go about our week.

No comments: