There are so many books on my "to read" list, and so I am trying to read a few chapters everyday during Sterling's nap or when he goes to bed at night. Of course this requires that I turn off the electronics, but it is becoming very valuable time.And for those of you who would say, "I would love to be a reader but I'm just not," or, " I really don't have time," here are two things that have proved to be helpful to me.
First of all, I am dyslexic and so reading is a very slow process for me, and when I was in school I HATED it, LOATHED may be more appropriate. So I have used the first excuse in the past and use the second one all of the time now.
If you have a list of books you would like to read but you just don't enjoy it or don't have time, try these two things, this is what makes me enjoy reading at least:
First, if you don't enjoy reading, get a good fiction book that you have never read. Don't count it out for the size, even if it is really thick! You can take as long as you need. A suspenseful book usually helps do the trick. I have listed some books that got me to really love reading at the bottom of this post.
Second, if you don't have the time, make a commitment to read one or two chapters a day. Before you know it you will start marking books off of your list. Also, I have started many books (non-fiction especially) that after reading the first few chapters I just wasn't drawn to finish them, I just put them back on the shelf and get another that seems appealing. Many times, I have gone back to them at another time and really enjoyed them. Sometimes it just isn't the right time, don't feel guilty.
Also, I have found that when I am required to read a book, for a Bible study or a class or something, I usually don't enjoy it like when I read it on my own. So, don't let that discourage you.
Anyway, back to the book "A Mother's Heart."

Before Sterling was born our pastor's wife in Tuscaloosa gave me this book (thanks Scottie). I started reading it last week and it is so great!! It calls mothers to God's purposes and not our own. It has been great and very convicting!
As Christians we are called to live our lives focused on others. As mothers we are called to have this selfless attitude with our children. Like I said it has been very convicting! It calls us to love with God's agape love which is patient and kind.
It is also very practical. She gives examples of things she does to show her children the gospel. I really appreciate the practical side of it.
Books that MADE me love them:
"Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers; The Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers (the first one takes a while to get into but after that you can't stop); Lineage of Grace Series also by the same author (these are very short, quick reads, a good place to start); the Harry Potter series; The Chronicles of Narnia series. (I am noticing a pattern that I have read a lot of series of books, but they are so good that when you are through with the first one you will not want them to be over!)
No comments:
Post a Comment